Monday, November 3, 2008

German Chamomile ( Matricaria recutita ) or Scented Mayweed is a must have for all medicine cabinets. This medicinal plant seems to grow just about everywhere and is said to be invasive. Chamomile grows to a height of about12 inches and grows well in full sun to part shade.

The flowers of German Chamomile are very aromatic and attract bees. To some people this plant may cause serious allergic reactions so use caution if you have allergies. German Chamomile has been used medicinally to treat digestive problems for a very long time. The effects of Chamomile as aromatherapy are soothing and calming, used in stress relief and aiding in sleep. The entire plant is used to treat common aches and pains like a toothache, or shoulder pain. You can also make a yummy tummy tea to help calm that upset stomach.


I do not have this wonderful plant in my collection yet, but here are some pictures I found on Google images.




To read all of my Medicinal Monday posts just CLICK HERE.

I hope you found this Medicinal Monday useful. See you again next time!!


7 comments:

tina said...

I have this in my garden and LOVE it! It has never bothered me with any reactions. Whew! It is sprouting now and will bloom quite stunningly in the months of March, April and May here. I love it. Takes a good eye to spot it though as one might think it is a weed. Best to let it grow. Thanks for sharing its uses.

spookydragonfly said...

Interesting post...I think I have this growing here and there, I'll have to keep an eye out next year and inspect mine a little closer now.

Anonymous said...

Hello neighbor! I came across your blog from http://www.blotanical.com and am so excited to see another garden blog in the area. I have this growing in my garden...planted from seed ages ago and it is still only about 3 inches tall. It's driving me crazy with anticipation. Things I am probably doing wrong: 1. planted wrong time of year (I'm a newbie to gardening, and gardening in FL is...special? None of the rules apply it seems) and 2. growing it in my container garden (to small of a pot probably). Lol. Jealous!

Unknown said...

Chamomile is wonderful stuff, so easy to grow. In the West there is a weed that looks very similar, in fact is related, but doesn't have the same great smell.

Unknown said...

Very pretty and useful. I am offering seeds if you are interested, just drop by.

Neza S.G. said...

They use Chamomile a lot in Mexico-...I'm going there next month. I'll report on all the cool plants I find.
Check my blog: The Rock and Roll Gardener

Anonymous said...

'Medicinal Monday' is a great idea for a post! I will be sure to check it each week, as I love learning about the nutritional and healing properties of herbs and other plants.