Thursday, July 24, 2008

Back in March I started a project that I call Project Air Layering: (Tangerine). I have never attempted to Air Layer anything before so I had no idea what to expect. If you want to see how I started Step by Step then click here.

Today I decided that it was time to check on my project. I pulled out the ladder and headed over to my Tangerine Tree. When I opened the black bag I was surprised to see that the bag was full of roots! I was amazed, it worked! Her are some more Step by Step pictures on what I did next.

This first picture is of the bag in the tree.






This second picture is what it looked like when I opened the black bag. You can see the roots inside the bag if you look closely.




This picture is what it looked like when I removed the black bag completely. Again you can see the roots through the clear bag.




This picture is after I cut the branch off of the Tangerine Tree with the bag still in place.




When I looked closer I noticed that there were two baby Tangerines on the clone. I will remove these so the clone does not use all of it's energy trying to produce delicious Tangerines like it wants to. Better it will use it's energy to produce more roots and support itself.



And the final picture is of the completed Air Layer Project: (Tangerine).



Thank you stopping by! I hope you enjoyed this post and continue to watch to see how the baby Tangerine turns out.

5 comments:

Perennial Gardener said...

This was a great post on how to airlayer a plant. Good job, how exciting to have created a new plant!

miriam said...

great job---i will follow the growth of the tangerine.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Of all of the propagation methods I learned in "class" air layering seemed the most unlikely to work, so I never tried it. You have inspired me to give it a try.

Thanks

Deb.

Mother Nature said...

Congratulations on your success.

Lets Plant said...

Thank you for your warm comments.