Friday, May 23, 2008

Basil Sprouts!!

Basil is a very fast and easy to germinate. I was given some pieces of Basil that had seed pods all over it the other day. They told to just stick these sticks in the pot and watch what happens.


So I went home with my Basil sticks and I pulled a couple seed pods off and sprinkled them throughout the pot and just placed the rest right on top of the soil. It has been about 4 days since I did this. I went out this morning and to my surprise there are loads of sprouts!!


I really like the way Basil smells in the garden and I also use it a lot when I am cooking so to be able to go outside and pick fresh Basil will be great!! Here are some pictures of my new Basil sprouts!!






9 comments:

Julia said...

I love basil too - sadly I've had to buy my seeds, but the leaves are just right after some time on my kitchen windowsill. It just completes a pasta dish!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! So far, we aren't sprouting much at all. We went from hot to cold too quickly.

walk2write said...

Basil is one of my favorite herbs too. The essential oil made from the plant can be used to treat migraines, respiratory infections, and insect bites. I like to breathe it in after working outside in the steamy heat (which has already started here in Pensacola!). One caution, though. My desk reference advises epileptics to avoid using it.

Entangled said...

Basil is one of my favorite plants. I would think you could almost grow it year-round in Florida? We're pretty much limited to late May - late September here in Virginia.

Lets Plant said...

Thank you everyone!! This is my first try so I will keep you posted!!

Ashraf Al Shafaki said...

Scrolling down your blog these photos caught my attention and I stopped and looked and to me they looked like basil, as I've just been growing it a short while ago in Egypt (North Africa)!

Yeh, basils smells great, and although in Egypt basil is not well known for its culinary uses, yet we tend to enjoy its odor a lot. When the basil plants grows and hardens out or kind of dries out, becoming brown in color instead of green, we pick parts of it and rub it in our hands, it produces a really nice smell.

Lets Plant said...

Thank you very much I have enjoyed all of your comments. It seems Basil is a big hit with everyone! I do not know if you can grow Basil year round here but I will let you know, as this is my first year growing.

nilla|utanpunkt said...

...and just as I had written that last comment, I saw you had a post on Basil! A favourite of mine, eating it, or just letting the smell go to your head...

kAyLa said...

I got a grown basil from Home Depot a few days ago. I learned my lesson not to plant anything in pots with no draining holes -sadly- it died quickly from basil shoot blight. Better not plant basil in pots with poor drainage.